Openssh chapter 19

Jan-Christoph Bornschlegel trollfood at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 13 00:19:41 PST 2010

stosss schrieb:
[...]
> I use /usr for everything. During the build process executable
> binaries should go in /usr/bin. The sentence says copy it there. If it
> is not there already then where is it? Does it not get put there until
> make install? Because the same paragraph says it needs to be there
> before running make test, which is done before make install.

Generally "make" creates executables somewhere under the directory where
you call it, and "make install" copies them to /usr/bin, that's why make
install must be done as root and the rest works under any user who can
write to the build directory (given you don't have your /usr/bin world
writable, of course -- and don't laugh, I knew people who "fixed"
problems like this).

So if you compile a package /src/foo-x.y.z.tar.bz2, you'll probably find
the package under /src/foo-x.y.z/. If there is a ./build or ./bin or
whatever depends on the package. Exceptions, of course, gcc and
binutils, which use own build directories -- but you are there when yu
call make, aren't you?

If I wonder what is new after make, I just run "ls -alrtR in the package
source directory and compare the timestamp. Or I touch a file _before_
make and then use find -newer :)
Or I look at the Makefile.

So without knowing the package, I guess from reading here:
"If you happen to have a scp binary already, no matter where it comes
from, save it somewhere and replace it by the newly built one, because
the testsuite expects it to reside in /usr/bin. And if it's not there,
just make a copy for test"

make install will overwrite it later anyway.

Cheers,
Jan