Openssh chapter 19

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 12 12:14:53 PST 2010

stosss wrote:

[where's my stuff?]

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Mike McCarty
> <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]

>> That depends upon how you configure your build. I suggest you
>> read the section in the book
>>
>>        The /usr Versus /usr/local Debate
>>

> I don't understand what the sentence is saying. How is reading the
> /usr VS /usr/local debate  again going to help me?

If you read it, you'd understand better why you'd understand.
For example, this sentence from the book might help

)  What is the BLFS position on this?
)
) All of the BLFS instructions install programs in /usr with optional
) instructions to install into /opt for some specific packages.

That sentence, along with the information pertaining to the exact
package, and the actions you took when you built should tell you
where to look.

>>> Not complaining just suggesting, It would be nice if there was more
>>> information then just that sentence. :)
>> It's in the book.
>
> What is in the book and where?

The information about where to look is in the book in the section
entitled "The /usr Versus /usr/local Debate"

>>> Any volunteers willing to help make that sentence a little clearer?
>> Hopefully, that did. It's under your control, so nobody here
>> can tell you where you put it.
>
> Yes I know I am in control of what I do to and how I do my system. But
> no I am sorry your reply is no help. Apparently you understand what
> the sentence says. I don't so your suggestions are completely
> meaningless to me.

What is meaningless about

	Read the section entitled "The /usr Versus /usr/local Debate"

What about that sentence is there that you do not understand, or which
needs clarification? It seems like a straightforward english sentence
in second person singular imperative mood active voice. The only thing
not specified is which book, but that should be clear from the context
of BLFS echo.

If you have enough time on your hands, then

# find / -name "<insert file name here>" -print

should tell you where it is, though that's hardly something that
someone who is comfortable with UNIX should need explained, and
it's certainly not the preferred method.

Anyone building BLFS should be pretty comfortable with UNIX
and how it generally works, and even how it gets built.

Incidentally, once you get your system working, you probably should
do regular backups, anyway. That would be one of my highest priorities,
as soon as I got LFS to boot. Full backup. You might want to do
incrementals, or even fulls, after each complete package install
which works. I'd want to get a backup system installed as the first
one (after its dependencies, that is). I like yackup.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.