Openssh chapter 19

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:41:42 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Mike McCarty
<Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> stosss wrote:
>> svn-20100203 from the 02-10-2010 archive
>>
>> The last sentence in the paragraph between make and make test.
>>
>> _To run the test suite, first copy the scp program to /usr/bin, making
>> sure that you back up any existing copy first._
>>
>> This is probably enough for some one who has done this before and
>> knows what to look for and where to look and understands the risk of
>> why to back up any existing copy. Not complaining, just pointing out
>> what is probably obvious. :)
>>
>> With a fresh LFS install with only the minimal BLFS stuff done, like
>> reading through chapter 1, 2 and doing chapter 3 and openssl in
>> chapter 4 and the only other things being GPM and WGET installed,
>> there probably isn't any existing copy of scp.
>>
>> Once I have run make, where will the scp program be? Would the make
>> install move it to the replace?
>
> That depends upon how you configure your build. I suggest you
> read the section in the book
>
>        The /usr Versus /usr/local Debate

I don't understand what the sentence is saying. How is reading the
/usr VS /usr/local debate  again going to help me?

>> Not complaining just suggesting, It would be nice if there was more
>> information then just that sentence. :)
>
> It's in the book.

What is in the book and where?

>> Any volunteers willing to help make that sentence a little clearer?
>
> Hopefully, that did. It's under your control, so nobody here
> can tell you where you put it.

Yes I know I am in control of what I do to and how I do my system. But
no I am sorry your reply is no help. Apparently you understand what
the sentence says. I don't so your suggestions are completely
meaningless to me.