Some questions when building BLFS-dev(svn)

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 11 02:09:03 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 17:18 +0600, Dmitry Sokolov wrote:
> Hello
>
> When i building some package, this package have a Recommended,
> Optional and Required packages.
> (Dependencies).
> Can you answer me Yes or No or When on my questions.
>
> 1. Required packages needs to installed before current package?: I
> think, YES.
> 2. When Recommended package needs installed before or after cur. pkg.?
> Can i install it later?
> 3. Optional packages are not required now, while installing cur. pkg.?
> Can i install it later?

Required packages *must* be installed before the package you're trying
to build - generally, the build will fail unless you have them.

For recommended/optional packages, the build won't fail if they're not
installed first, but you'll end up with an installation missing whatever
functionality those packages provided.. Installing them later will not
usually allow an already installed package to make use of them (unless
you reinstall that package).

(There are exceptions to this, but they're fairly uncommon, and don't
really matter).

Simon.