blfs-book-svn-html

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 11 01:53:00 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 15:35 -0500, stosss wrote:
> Why is it that you and other developers are so touchy about the book
> and its condition and people pointing out things that could be done
> different, better or whatever? Why do you and the others insist on
> thinking there is nothing wrong with the book and so unwilling to
> improve it?

Because providing technical support, voluntary or not, is pretty bad for
one's mental health - constantly responding to the same questions and
suggestions again and again and again, frequently without any thanks.
Especially so with volunteers, where gratitude is the only reward we can
expect.

Now, I agree with you, some of us can be a bit sharp - saying "You must
have done something wrong, go back and read the instructions again" is
neither helpful, nor friendly. But understand that people aren't
intending to be unpleasant - just stressed, or frustrated at being asked
the same questions again and again.

Simon