Init Scripts

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 11:29:13 PST 2010

Hops Error, Line 21, alcoholi.c wrote:

> But there are two parts of the Linux OS that have always eluded me:
> init scripts, and device drivers.

Google for 'writing linux device drivers'.  It's not arcane magic, but
you do need assembly language and to know the hardware.

For initi scripts, just read  /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.  It's only about 100
lines long.  It's initiated by init and specifed in /etc/inittab.  For
example:

l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3

Just read the man page for inittab to undeerstand that.

> udev works great for me :D That's the problem, though- it's a mysterious
> black box that performs miracles flawlessly and endlessly. I hate
> those.

To really understand what is going on here, you need to dive into the
internals of the kernel.  Basically, when a device generates an
interrupt at the hardware level, the kernel needs to deal with it.  udev
looks at anything the kernel doesn't know explicitly how to deal with
and sets up devices in user space (/dev) according to rules. This is
integrated with the /sys tree and is pretty complicated.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html

   -- Bruce