Init Scripts

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 15:40:39 PST 2010

On 4 February 2010 21:48, Pol Vangheluwe <pol.vangheluwe at belgacom.net> wrote:

> I installed a lot of servers from the BLFS book and their associated boot scripts.  I don't use some of them daily (sqlserver, dbus, …), so I have to disable them manually.  BLFS has no tool to activate/deactivate boot scripts like most commercial distributions have.  Or did I miss something?

 I mostly deal with desktops these days.  On a desktop,
*anything* that uses foo is likely to give problems if
foo is not running (because people who write code
are very good at extending its reach into new areas).

 I'd better qualify that by pointing out that I only use
dbus as a build-time dependency, i.e. dbus runs but
I don't rely on it to do anything useful.

 If I only had one machine, and 2 or 3 different
usage scenarios, I would perhaps put them in different
runlevels, e.g. using 2 or 4 differently (e.g.
"today I want to run  a database server, so runlevel 4".

 Equally, I would put not-generally-used programs in
somewhere below /opt so that they aren't normally
available.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"