Starting BLFS

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 3 15:53:12 PST 2010

On 3 February 2010 03:03, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> So, I want to make me a desktop with not much additional stuff on
> it, but with web capabilities. I've started reading BLFS in earnest,
> and thought I'd begin by making a list of things I _do_ need.
> However, there is no single dependency tree. I started in making
> one, and although the information is there, it is rather "spread
> out".
>
> So, I wondered, what is the usual recommended procedure? Pick something
> I want, and wade in, just traversing the dependency tree as I encounter
> it during the build process? Try manually to build a complete
> dependency tree and then begin?

 If you know what you think you want, and they are in BLFS,
take a *large* piece of paper (or spreadsheet), enter those
packages with their dependencies, then repeat for the
dependencies.

 Stage two, of course, is to build it and correct the plan
in the light of experience.  Once you have a version that
works, keeping it up to date (particularly across gnome
updates, probably also for kde) is key to continuing to
build useful systems.

 That last paragraph is "with feeling" - I upgraded the
parts of gnome I use to 2.26 in Sepetember and failed
to notice that much of the help was broken, so when I
tried dropping things in 2.28 I made wrong assumptions.
Hope others don't fall into the same trap (test
*everything* that you use at runtime).

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"