Starting BLFS

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 08:21:17 PST 2010

On 2/2/10, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> and thought I'd begin by making a list of things I _do_ need.
> However, there is no single dependency tree.

> So, I wondered, what is the usual recommended procedure? Pick something
> I want, and wade in, just traversing the dependency tree as I encounter
> it during the build process? Try manually to build a complete
> dependency tree and then begin?

That is the exact situation I have encountered for years.
Eventually I started working on a program to help make the
process less frustrating.

A work in progress is a perl script called pkgdeps it is posted 1/4
down the page in this blog post:
http://linux-fan-alfs.blogspot.com/2009/04/tired-of-one-dependency-and-then.html

Pkgdeps requires the package name and the location of  the book xml
files and it might be used like this:
pkgdeps gnome BLFS-6.3-XML --show2 --version

It is an attempt to create an approximate build order by simulating
traversing the dependency tree as you would do manually.