Starting BLFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:42:45 PST 2010

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Consider fluxbox or metacity before Gnome.  One of the problems with
>> Gnome is that it requires a lot of builds just to start a minimal system.
>
> Is it worthwhile installing GDM or KDM to start fluxbox, or just
> start it after login? ISTM that with GDM or KDM, one could install
> multiple window managers and desktop managers, and then experiment
> with them perhaps more easily.

I never install gdm/xdm/kdm.  I've tested them for the book, but I never
use them myself.  I have much more control at the command line and
typing startx is easy.  How often do you reboot a solid system?

Oops, its been 152 times for me -- since Nov 29 19:38:58 2005.
Looking in more detail, that's 95 times where the time between reboots
is more than an hour or about once every 20 days on average.

   -- Bruce