Starting BLFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:15:14 PST 2010

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Well, the build has to proceed in a linear fashion, so there
> must be a linearizable dependency list, else one would have
> no way to bootstrap.

The way if works in some cases is to build #1, then #2, and then #1
again.  It may not be that direct.   The sequence may be 1, 2, 3, 4, 1.

> Anyway, first things first. Some way to pull things from the
> web would be nice, but at present I can transfer files using
> CD-ROMs, I guess.

LFS has an FTP client.  Also, once you have sshd running, you can use a
remote system with a full blown window manager through ssh.

> Anyway, I'm considering starting in on X
> Window, and then a desktop and GNOME, after doing the minimal
> stuff I can from the "clean up" chapter.

Consider fluxbox or metacity before Gnome.  One of the problems with
Gnome is that it requires a lot of builds just to start a minimal system.

   -- Bruce