Starting BLFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:28:07 PST 2010

Mike McCarty wrote:

> So, I want to make me a desktop with not much additional stuff on
> it, but with web capabilities. I've started reading BLFS in earnest,
> and thought I'd begin by making a list of things I _do_ need.
> However, there is no single dependency tree.

> So, I wondered, what is the usual recommended procedure? Pick
> something I want, and wade in, just traversing the dependency tree as
> I encounter it during the build process?

Basically, that's what I do.

I'll start with

# wget
# The Bash Shell Startup Files
# The /etc/vimrc and ~/.vimrc Files
# OpenSSL
# OpenSSH
# sudo

and then go on from there.

> I started in making one, and although the information is there, it is
> rather "spread out".

The problem is that there are some circular dependencies.  A long time
ago we tried to come up with a dependency list, but it really wasn't
practical.

> My machine is behind a hardware firewall, so I feel my security
> issues are pretty limited, and am considering omitting PAM.

I don't use PAM.  I'm the only one that uses my system and I think it
just gets in the way.  For a system accessible by others that you don't
really trust (through competence or otherwise), then it is necessary.

> I do want a desktop, so that means X Window, a destop manager,
> and a session manager (I'm leaning toward Gnome, since that's
> what I run now, and don't much care for KDE). I also want
> some network ability, and web browsing and e-mail. I'd like
> to be able to continue to use Thunderbird, but that's negotiable,
> though I do want to be able to import all my current e-mails.

You can do that.  The idea behind BLFS is to pick and choose what you
want.  Consider seamonkey for web/email.

   -- Bruce