Init Scripts

Hops Error, Line 21, alcoholi.c from_blfs.10.defermentmullkegmalt at spamgourmet.com
Tue Feb 2 10:24:11 PST 2010

I'm putting the finishing touches on my new system, and one area
that's always eluded me as far as Linux goes was the Sys V init
system. I'm familiar with runlevels, making links that start with "S"
or "K" and the run priority, etc, but I know if I sat down and tried
to write some good init scripts, it would be an uphill battle.

Does anyone know any good step-by-step primers that cover writing init
scripts from scratch? The biggest gaps in my knowledge cover device
me scriptable ways to make device nodes based on info I find in /sys
and /proc when daemons fail to create them would be great. I've done a
lot of finding and grepping and voodoo and managed to do this before,
but I prefer actually knowing what I'm doing and understand the rhyme
and reason that goes into the ever changing /sys filesystem.