Subject: Re: shareable distro?

Hops Error, Line 21, alcoholi.c from_blfs.10.defermentmullkegmalt at spamgourmet.com
Tue Feb 2 10:14:22 PST 2010

>> ...burn an ext2 or ext3 filesystem image
>> directly onto a DVD- linux WILL actually read it.
>>

> Do you mean a DVD-RAM disk?  These are useful for archiving as they will
> take any file system.  I wasn't aware, however, that you could burn any old
> file system to any old DVD.
>
> Richard

Yes, found this out by accident. Ordinarily, this is how I was
remastering stuff:

# a little under 4 gigs
dd if=/dev/zero of=root.ext3 bs=32M count=120
mkfs.ext3 root.ext3
cd ..
mkisofs -R -l --allow-leading-dots -D -o backup_`date '+%m%d%y'`.iso
-b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/boot.cat -no-emul-boot
-boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -V "lfs backup for `date '+%B %d
%Y'`" -z -iso-level 3 remaster_folder
cdrecord -dao dev=1001,0,0 cd_binder/backup_`date '+%m%d%y'`.iso
driveropts=burnfree

Which, admittedly, is needlessly complicated. I have the mkisofs and
cdrecord commands in scripts, but if you'll notice, those scripts will
fail if I'm making dvds around midnight or so. So, I did what any
monkey on a keyboard would do and typed the command in manually to see
what was going wrong, but I was in a "setting up the staging area"
mentality (and a bit drowsy), so I typed in

cd remaster_folder
cdrecord -dao dev=1001,0,0 root.ext3 driveropts=burnfree

Of course, I saw the mistake right off (cdrecord has a 10 second
countdown and a screen full of reminders telling you you're about to
do something dumb), but I was curious and had just bought a lot of
DVDS.

And, to my surprise, when all was said and done, this worked

mount /{dev,mnt}/cdrom