Stormy Peters and the Gnome Foundation

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Nov 30 23:10:25 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 13:56 +0000, Richard Melville wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm having dinner with Stormy Peters, Executive Director of the Gnome
> Foundation, on Wednesday night.  I wondered if anybody on this list
> had any questions that they would like me to ask her on their behalf.
> I'm going to ask:-
>
> "What she feels are the benefits that have been gained from moving
> Gnome to a registry based system when many MS Windows developers
> have already expressed the view that the adoption of the Windows
> registry was a mistake."

Off topic for LFS, but I'd note that most of the complaints over the
Windows registry seem to be that it's one big opaque binary blob -
fragile, monolithic, and maintainable only by APIs.

I don't see that those criticisms apply to Gnome's GConf, seeing as it's
practically the direct opposite in implementation - uses human readable
(and editable) XML files, and is split out into separate files for
different applications/features. It has practically nothing in common
with the Windows registry, save being a standardised configuration
framework.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that by posing that question, you may be
assuming a degree of similarity between Windows and Gnome that doesn't
exist...

Simon.