LFS book 6.52.3 problem (passwd root)

Cristiano Cortezia cris_locortez at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 28 04:54:37 PST 2009

I've got a problem in the mentioned step (6.52.3 - Shadow configuration).
If I run the command 'passwd root', I get the following output, before being able to provide any input:

root:/# passwd root
Changing password for root
Enter the new password (minimum of 5 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
Bad password: too short.
Warning: weak password (enter it again to use it anyway).
passwd: password changed.

Can anyone point what type of problem do I have here ?

Thanks