LFS is at 6.5 BLFS is at 6.3 Why?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:38:16 PST 2009

stosss wrote:

> I just got to the point of doing BLFS. I know the project is
> volunteer. All the books say use whats recommended in the book. Why
> release something just because it is ready when the next part (the
> more important part) is not. I was just asking straight forward
> questions.

There are about 60 packages in LFS.  BLFS has about 300.  There just are
not enough volunteers to keep up with BLFS at the same rate as LFS.  If
each package updates only once a year (many update multiple times per
year) that would be about a change a day.

Delaying LFS to wait for BLFS would mean they would only be released
rarely, if at all.

Also, the nature of LFS and BLFS are somewhat different.  LFS is
designed to build everything in the book.  BLFS recognizes users want to
pick and choose in order to customize their system.   The -dev book
results in a compromise where some packages are current and others have
varying degrees of age.  In many cases, the only difference between
build current packages and the instructions in the book are selecting
which file to download.  For other cases, there is BLFS Support.

   -- Bruce