LFS is at 6.5 BLFS is at 6.3 Why?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 24 04:18:00 PST 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 05:23:03 -0500, stosss <stosss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why does LFS stay so far ahead of BLFS? What is the point of building
> the newest LFS if the BLFS files are older and probably won't work or
> would be replacing newer versions of apps with older versions?

BLFS, like all of the LFS projects is provided by volunteers.  As such,
the production of a stable version of the book is dependent on the
amount of time that the editors and release manager have available.

Due to the massive difference in size in the respective projects, it
is much easier to stabilize and release the LFS book than it is for
BLFS, hence why LFS tends to have much shorter life-cycle than BLFS.

> Use SVN if you are using LFS 6.4 what about LFS 6.5?

The same goes for any version of LFS with a later version number than
BLFS.

Despite it not having a 'stable' release, I find that the instructions
in BLFS work far more often than they don't, and any issues I highlight
are dealt with very quickly.

Regards,

Matt.