Black screen when configure Xorg

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 18 23:46:21 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 17:02 -0600, krendoshazin at dementedfury.org wrote:
> I see several problems here: first it can't find your fonts, you've
> either not compiled them or they're in a different directory. If
> they're in a different directory and you wish to keep them there,
> then you can use `--with-fontdir=FONTDIR' when compiling xorg-
> server and substitute FONTDIR for your desired path - such as
> /usr/share/fonts, etc. If you haven't compiled them, then the
> solution is quite simple.

I don't think the fonts are an issue, as I get a similar set on a
working desktop - they're just a set of hardcoded paths Xorg looks in,
which may or may not exist. Xorg comes with a lot of font options that
most people won't use on a modern desktop...

One possible exception though - "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/". From memory,
there's just one or two fonts which are absolutely required - I think
the packages font-cursor-misc and font-misc-misc. If you've not done so,
I'd suggest installing those...

>   It also can't find a driver for the mouse and keyboard, make sure
> that you grab these from the driver list and compile them. The files
> you need are xf86-input-keyboard-1.4.0 and xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0.

Yeah, not having input drivers probably isn't helping. Although, are
those drivers correct for VMWare? Or does it need special input drivers?
I see there's a VMWare mouse driver on the Xorg ftp site...

Simon.