"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready"

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 07:54:17 PST 2009

On 17/11/09 14:58, thomas at equinox.homelinux.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i saw there was a short discussion about the message
> "ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready" in April in
> lfs-support. Unfortunately, they have discussed on how to suppress that
> message and not where does it come from and whats the reason.
> Now that I built a new system based on the book from the beginning of
> November, I have the same problem.

I can't help you with that, I've never been able to figure out how to
use the network bootscript. I have always found it easier to work out
the commands needed to bring up the network connection and then put
those commands in my own "network" bootscript

> While the message itself isn't the
> problem, the real problem is that the link is indeed unusable until that
> message appears. This is not really fine because after the
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/network script has been started, the NTP start script
> gets executed. When ntpd -gqx sits on the (still not ready) link, it hangs
> forever (ok ok, i did not wait so long) and the only option is to shutdown
> using the power-switch.

This sounds very odd to me. The ntp bootscript never hangs for me, even
if there's no network connection ntpd starts and then bind bitches into
the sys.log about the network being unreachable.
Try removing the symlinks that start those scripts so that you can at
least get to a command prompt and then see if you can bring up the
interface by hand

Andy