"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready"

thomas at equinox.homelinux.org thomas at equinox.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 17 06:58:34 PST 2009

Hi all,

i saw there was a short discussion about the message
"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready" in April in
lfs-support. Unfortunatly, they have discussed on how to suppress that
message and not where does it come from and whats the reason.
Now that I built a new system based on the book from the beginning of
November, I have the same problem. While the message itself isn't the
problem, the real problem is that the link is indeed unusable until that
message appears. This is not really fine because after the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network script has been started, the NTP start script
gets executed. When ntpd -gqx sits on the (still not ready) link, it hangs
forever (ok ok, i did not wait so long) and the only option is to shutdown
using the power-switch.

Any ideas why it is delayed so long that the link becomes ready? Possibly
it has someting to do with newer kernels because my old system is version
2.6.25.6 and with this OS i have no trouble. How can i ensure that the
link is ready before the first service is going to use it?

Btw, the e1000e driver is used for the "02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel
Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller" in my Thinkpad (T60).

Many thanks for a hint,

Thomas