A question:

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Thu Nov 5 19:52:00 PST 2009

I ran ldd on /lib/security/pam_env.so and didn't find any dependency on
it.  Gdm does show a dependency on libpam.so.  I think PAM doesn't know
about any of the programs that depend on it.  Instead, modules are
written that other programs can access via libpam and libpam looks for a
config file in /etc/pam.d.