has xdm been removed from X11

Andrew Barnes andyrbarnes at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 03:23:15 PDT 2009

> All the dropped apps should still be in /individual/app on the mirrors.
>
> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/app/xdm-1.1.8.tar.gz

Thanks :)

It might be worth putting a little note with the location this in the book.

I'll probably stick with SLiM for what I'm doing at the minute. But its good to know where xdm is because SLiM does not do network login's, and I've done a couple of things which needed that.

> > x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null
>
> Good call to handle it properly in inittab, but why redirect?  Related,
> the gdm bootscript should be dropped (will bring up on blfs-dev again).

I took the inittab line straight from the documentation and that had the redirect in so I left it.

Andy