support for intel 64 bits

jignesh gangani jgangani at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:52:39 PDT 2009

Dear Reinoud,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Koornstra, Reinoud <koornstra at hp.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am cross-compiling tools etc etc for an intel core 2 duo cpu.
> As target I am using: "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"
> And ARCH=X86_64
> After cross compile I am noticing that readelf -a reports of these binaries:
> Machine: Advanced Micro Devices X86-64 ....
> Will these binaries run on the intel core 2 duo cpu, or should I start over again?
> Kind Regards,
>
> Reinoud.
> --

When 64-bit instruction set was being added to processors, Intel and
AMD took different apporach.
While AMD just increased the register size and data path from 32 bit
to 64 bit (which was compatible with x86 architecture), Intel changed
the processor design radically (which was called IA-64 architecture).
After some time Intel took the same path as AMD (ie. increasing
register sizes and data path from 32 bit to 64 bit). As the AMD was
the first one to give simple 64-bit architecture, the architecture was
known as AMD-x86_64 architecture. So, I think your
application will run on Intel Core 2 Duo. It will be clear when you
will do final build.

Jignesh
--

Jignesh D. Gangani