has xdm been removed from X11

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 14 09:24:28 PDT 2009

Andrew Barnes wrote:

> I can understand them focusing on what the distributions want.
>
> Have put all the dropped applications somewhere where people can get
> them if they want them? I looked around for the source of xdm but could
> not find it. Maybe I just looked in the wrong place.

All the dropped apps should still be in /individual/app on the mirrors.

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/app/xdm-1.1.8.tar.gz

Also of interest, somebody is modernizing twm IIRC, probably not a
competitor to ice or flux, but who knows.  It might actually make a
pretty nice and very lightweight environment soon.

> Anyway, I've got SLiM working so its not an issue anymore, and here are
> the instructions:

Cool.  Thanks.

> x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null

Good call to handle it properly in inittab, but why redirect?  Related,
the gdm bootscript should be dropped (will bring up on blfs-dev again).

-- DJ Lucas