fcron & run-parts

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 14 09:14:22 PDT 2009

Andrew Barnes wrote:

> I see your point and I did wonder if /usr/bin was the best place.
>
> Perhaps /bin would be better. run-parts is not really a system admin
> type program and I could see it being useful for ordinary users.

Again, thanks for doing the leg work on this.  I disagree with you on
the location, but that is a trivial issue.  It is up to what the
community decides, so lets hash it out real quick and maybe I can get
this added into the book for 6.4 (gets us that much closer to LSB).  I
can't even see why a sysadmin would run it.  /var/lib/fcron/run-parts
would probably be more appropriate.  Maybe I'm just being short sighted,
but what purpose would an end user have for run-parts?  It simply runs
all the executable files in a directory.

There is a little bit more to it than this, sub-directory handling,
individual script reporting and error redirection (by running within awk
script, which you probably wouldn't want if running from CLI), but the
most simple example:

for script in /path/to/scriptdir/*
do
    test -x $script && $script
done

In addition, I still haven't reviewed the spec requirement to see if
cron should be installed in /usr or not (runlevel 2?), so fcron might
need a change to its current instructions.  I'll get to it in a couple
of days.

-- DJ Lucas