has xdm been removed from X11

Andrew Barnes andyrbarnes at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 14 06:00:44 PDT 2009

> It is not 'officially' part of the Xorg distribution, but development
> will likely continue.  There are lots of X applications that are no
> longer 'official' that still provide the same functionality that they
> always have, it is just that the core developers have trimmed the fat on
> what is the release, catering more to what distributions actually ship.

I can understand them focusing on what the distributions want.

Have put all the dropped applications somewhere where people can get them if they want them? I looked around for the source of xdm but could not find it. Maybe I just looked in the wrong place.

Anyway, I've got SLiM working so its not an issue anymore, and here are the instructions:

The web site is http://slim.berlios.de/

Downloaded from: http://download.berlios.de/slim/slim-1.3.1.tar.gz

Unpack and issue the commands:
make
make install

The configuration information is stored in /etc/slim.conf. It should be checked to make sure the paths to xterm etc are correct.

I also changed the login_cmd line to make X run from the system-wide configuration file rather than .xinitrc

login_cmd          exec /bin/bash --login /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc %session

I also "touch"'d /etc/issue, to suppress the "file not found" message when starting a console session.

and finally, added the following line to /etc/inittab
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null

Andy