empty KDE Desktop ?

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Sun Mar 8 19:28:29 PDT 2009

We are building BLFS (svn 20090503 ) on two boxes at the time. No problems
with PC Nr.1 On the PC of my wife however, after entering "startx", xsplash
starts working and at the end the KDE Desktop shows up, but no one
application is listed in kmenu. Only a few empty items like System, control
center, run command, logout are listed. kdlibs, kdebase, kadmin were already
build.
As machine Nr. 1 is running smoothly, we know that we made anywhere a mistake.
All compiled libraries and programs are in /opt/kde/{bin,lib,share,etc}, they
should show up in KDE Desktop, but no way. We have controlled paths and
permissions, without success.

We need now a hint, how we could proceed. Does a method exist, how to read the
apps into the KDE menu ?

Thank you very much,
Edgar