fcron & run-parts

Andrew Barnes andyrbarnes at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:00:53 PST 2009

> It's a little ways down on the to do list (under the LSB catchall bug),
> but any instructions that you (or anybody else) would care to provide
> would be much appreciated.

Here is what I did:

Installation of run-parts:

Download the debianutils package (http://packages.debian.org/lenny/debianutils)

Unpack the tarball. Issue the commands:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
cp run-parts /usr/bin/
cp run-parts.8 /usr/man/man8

The package contains a number of utility programs. I only wanted run-parts, some of the other programs might be useful as well. Not sure if the --prefix=/usr is needed or not. There may be options for configure and make which can control the build better.

Configuring fcron:

mkdir -pv /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}

Create the file /etc/fcrontab with the contents
&  0   *    * * * run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
&  0 15    * * * run-parts /etc/cron.daily
&  0 16    * * 3 run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
&  0 11  25 * * run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

Tell fcron to use the file
fcrontab /etc/fcrontab