Where to unzip phpMyAdmin in new Apache Versions

Rick Shelton rick.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 14:24:44 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Dr. Edgar Alwers<edgaralwers at gmx.de> wrote:
> I built Apache ( httpd-2.2.11 ) and php-5.2.10. Now, in order to control
> MySQL-5.1.30, I am trying to install phpMaAdmin-3.2.0.
>
> The instructions only say,  unzip phpMyAdmin in the webserver's document root.
> In former versions, this was /usr/local/apache2/htdocs.
>
> However, a /usr/local/apache2 directory does not exist anymore (
> or /user/apache2 ). Has somebody a hint, where to unzip the administration
> tool in today's  httpd versions ?

The document root is one of the changes made with the
httpd-2.2.8-config-1.patch that is applied during the build process
for Apache web server. The new document root is given in the patch as
/srv/www. Using /srv is also a relatively "recent" change in the
filesystem hierarchy standard.

Be sure to double check /etc/apache/httpd.conf (something like that)
for the exact location, but documents are served out of something like
/srv/www/htdocs.

~rick