ALSA startup problem with /usr beeing an another partition

Lars Bamberger maillist at herr-der-mails.de
Wed Jun 17 11:39:03 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've been tracking a problem with ALSA on my system. The symptom is that
the soundcard remains muted after system boot. I traced it back to the
point that '/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf' needs to be reachable when
'udev' calls 'alsactl' during the boot sequence. However, this is not
the case if '/usr' is a separate partition. The lfs-bootscripts call
'udev' before 'mountfs' in '/etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d', hence making
'alsactl' fail.

(Note: I did move 'alsactl' to '/sbin' and modified the bootscripts and
the udev-rules accordingly. Also 'udev-retry' won't do the job, if you
don't modify anything.)

Do you think this a problem worth fixing? If so, where and how should it
be fixed? In ALSA, in LFS or in BLFS?

Thanks for you opinion,
Lars