gtk+-2.14.4 "make install" fails

Nicolas Richard theonewiththeevillook at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 10 02:16:52 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to compile gtk+ 2.14.4, following BLFS instructions (and the
"more control with package users" hint), but "make install" fails with
the following errors:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
libtool: install: error: relink `libgtk-x11-2.0.la'

and I find no explict error message from ld.

By modifying the script "libtool" that's built in the build directory, I
managed to get some more verbose output from gcc and collect2 (by
passing them options -v and --verbose respectively) :
http://linuxfromscratch.pastebin.com/m173fa487
but I still don't understand the error.

What's even more surprising to me, is that I can run the long "collect2"
(line 17) command manually (that means : I take the command from the
log, put it in a file, and run it as a bash script) without any
problem... but that doesn't help, because the next call to "make
install" will fail again.

Here is the full output (stderr+stdout) from the configure step :
http://linuxfromscratch.pastebin.com/d131b7983
(
no errors except
config.status: WARNING:  'po/Makefile.in.in' seems to ignore the
--datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  'po-properties/Makefile.in.in' seems to ignore
the --datarootdir setting
)

Here is the stderr from "make" :
http://linuxfromscratch.pastebin.com/m3a7bb356

Here is the stderr from the non-verbose "make install" step
http://linuxfromscratch.pastebin.com/d723cd8aa

Last thing I can say is that on another LFS system I have compiled and
installed that package successfully (also as a "package user")...

Any help will be much appreciated,

--
Nico.