openoffice3 compile and install for lazy people

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Thu Apr 30 20:08:56 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 05:20:58 pm Martin Ward wrote:

> i followed the layout as proscribed at arch linux, not saying this is
> the optimum choice of doing it, but it got open office going for me, it
> does seem the install layout has changed for 3.x from 2.x
>
> see
> http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/openoffice-base/repos/extra-i686/PKGB
>UILD?revision=25655&view=markup
>
> or
>
> http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/openoffice-base/repos/extra-x86_64/PK
>GBUILD?revision=25337&view=markup
>
> once you have built open office, you can copy the resulting
> binaries/libraries over to the /opt directory and then use their
> ##step1,2, 3 to get a proper directory layout
>
> then you can symlink the individual apps, into the /usr hierarchy

thanks for your input.  To get going quickly I did the following:-
pushd OOO300_m15/config_office
./configure  --with-lang="en-US en-GB"  --etc   ---etc
popd

export LOCALINSTALLDIR="/opt/openoffice-3.0.1"   ### --A
export PKGFORMAT="installed"     ##--B

umask 0022
unset LANG LC_ALL
./bootstrap

source LinuxX86-64Env.Set.sh
dmake

after cooking, the directory
OOO300_m15/instsetoo_native/unxlngx6.pro/OpenOffice/native/install
  had two directories  en-GB  en-US  both of which are empty  BUT

two directories are provided at the end of the build
/opt/openoffice-3.0.1    #### --C  with binaries libraries et al
/opt/openoffice-3_download.0.1  ### -D  with a tarball of C
( the latter can be used for  other types of installations)

bash-3.2#
ls   /opt/openoffice-3.0.1/linux-2.6-x86_64/buildroot/opt/openoffice.org3/program
about.bmp      intro.bmp         resource  sdraw     smath        sofficerc
unoinfo     versionrc
bootstraprc    libnpsoplugin.so  sbase     setuprc   soffice      spadmin
unopkg
fundamentalrc  redirectrc        scalc     simpress  soffice.bin  swriter
unopkg.bin
bash-3.2#

we can simply do  the following to link executables to /usr/bin

cd /opt/openoffice-3.0.1/linux-2.6-x86_64/buildroot/opt/openoffice.org3/program
for appl in sbase scalc sdraw simpress smath soffice spadmin swriter
do
ln -v -sf  /opt/openoffice-3.0.1/linux-2.6-x86_64/buildroot/opt/openoffice.org3/program/$appl  /usr/bin/$appl
done

interestingly  my build seems to   set en-GB as default    (presumedely
from /etc/profile.d/i18n)

#######
if  settings  A and B above are not used, C and D above do not result   AND
the directory
OOO300_m15/instsetoo_native/unxlngx6.pro/OpenOffice/native/install
  has the directories  en-GB  en-US  both of which are non-empty   and   the
conventional installation  procedure (as per blfs/cblfs ec) can be used.

The ArchLinux setup looks promising   and i will try and have a go when I find
some time.

Tnanks for your help.

yours sincerely
lux-integ.