upgrading glib2 and gtk2

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 30 04:13:39 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 19:48 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  It's an interesting question.  I have no idea if they will be fully
> backwards compatible.  If I was doing it, I'd steer clear of
> 'uninstall' and rename any old libraries so that they won't be found
> (and then remove them once everything is known to work).

Glib and gtk+ are both supposed to be completely backwards compatible
with respect to both API and ABI, so that aspect of the upgrade
shouldn't be a problem. Actually replacing the old version though, I
don't know what the safest way to do that is - mine is to have logged
everything done by the install so I can undo it cleanly, but that's no
use if you've not installed that way...

Simon.