upgrading glib2 and gtk2

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Wed Apr 29 04:58:42 PDT 2009

Greetings,

I currently have gtk-2.14.3 installed in /opt/gtk2.  I want to upgrade to
gtk-2.16.1  (  for newer version of firefox,  geda etc)  I also have
glib-2.18.3

QUESTIONS:
a)Regarding glib2  can I just install 2.20.1 over the old version of
glib2.18.3 or is 'uninstallation'   and post-install  symnlinks required?

b) regarding gtk-2.16.1;    is  it backward compatible to version-2.14.3
allowing  a symlink  to the newer version?  Or  must I keep  the old 2.14.3
hanging around  as quite a few things   depend on it?

suggestions welcomed.

sincerely
lux-integ