KDE4 ?

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 20 12:10:03 PDT 2009

Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'd like to start a new LFS system, but one of my motivations (apart from
> having up to date libs) is KDE4 (and Xorg 7.4, and VLC...).
>
> I didn't see anything on the LFS site, nor on the CBLFS site, so I'm
> asking the list : is there a sufficiently precise set of instructions for
> compiling this big project ? Is it stable enough for a personnal computer
> (not a production machine... well, sort of... production for my work :-)
>
> Thanks for any clue.
>
> \bye

i take an incremental approach

i use clfs (pure 64 bit build)
then a mixture of cblfs and blfs to build increasingly "functional "
desktops plus hints and patches from all over the place

as stated earlier, i found the kde techbase very useful, especially

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS

the dbus/hal/console/policy kit bits did take a fairbit of configuration
to get going correctly, i have successfully built kde 4.0.0 to 4.2.1
with some minor glitches and ***$$&&
even k3b (svn version) works great
if you would like a my build order, just shout

cheers

martin