LibOFX does not compile under gcc-4.3

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 20 08:30:24 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:54:57PM +1200, Simon Geard wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 10:33 +0200, Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> > So, actually there is no way to build LibOFX under LFS. I am not sure, if a
> > Debian source with a Debian diff-File are applicable under LFS, and I would
> > not now how to proceed ( the diff file is a *.diff.gz )
> >
> > The files were published on  2009-03-09:
> > https://launchpad.net/debian/squeeze/+source/libofx/1:0.9.0-3
> >
> > Could somebody please help ? LibOFX is very important for GnuCash.
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> No idea about OFX specifically, but the source is available from the URL
> you gave. The second file down (the .orig.tar.gz) is the source tarball,
> and the third is the set of patches Debian apply to it - probably
> including the fix for the bug you mentioned...
>
> The filenames are a little different, but that's just Debian
> conventions...
>
> Simon.

 Just in case it isn't obvious,
zcat /path/to/diff.gz > /tmp/expanded-diff
 or use a browser to look at it.

 Let me spend a few minutes taking this as a case-study in
interpreting what debian do:

 Debian diffs are typically _large_ (altering things to fit debian
standards, typically lots of patches for obscure problems, all sorts
of things we don't ususally need).  But, somewhere within it is a
changelog, and also perhaps patches (occasionally, they pass certain
flags to configure).

 Actually, this one is quite straightforward - some fixes applied
directly to the source (I've seen some where they create patches in
the debian/ directory and then run a script to apply them - in those
cases, the patches need to be edited [drop first character on each
line] to apply them directly), the patches here should apply
without editing them, changelog, debian-specific control files and
documentation.

 Looking at the diff.gz in firefox, the debian/changelog is not very
helpful in identifying which parts are needed for gcc-4.3.  However,
looking at what else it reports, and the actual changes (mostly,
extra standard headers required - a feature of building old packages
with gcc-4.3), ALL of the change in front of the changelog EXCEPT for
lib/ofx_preproc.c seems to be needed for gcc-4.3.

 The change to lib/ofx_preproc.c looks like a vulnerability fix,
even if it's perhaps only a denial of service (application crash) :
so if I was building this I'd be inclined to just edit the diff to
delete everything after the change to ofxconnect/ofxconnect.cpp, and
then apply it (with -p0).  Of course, YMMV.

ĸen