Continued: Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Sun Apr 19 07:06:54 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:37:13PM +0100, Martin Ward wrote:
> Jeremy Henty wrote:
> > RESULT!!!   I added  'DefaultDepth 8'  to the  Screen  section and
> > 'Modes "1280x1024"'  to the Display subsection for  that depth and
> > it worked.
> [...]
> brilliant, why default depth 8, i usually use 24,

That was just a first cut.  I now do without the DefaultDepth line and
add Modes  lines to all  the Display subsections.  The  driver selects
depth  24, just as  it did  in Xorg  7.2.  Interestingly,  diffing the
servers logs  from successful and  unsuccessful logs shows next  to no
difference.  The  only relevant  change I can  see is that  the failed
attempt selected  a more high-res  mode.  Perhaps the problem  is just
that it  chose a mode  my card can't  support (which in turn  might be
because Xorg 7.4 fails to identify the card).

> could be the cause of your font problem,

Unfortunately no, the fonts are still broken.

> think about  it it might also  as ken has  mentioned something about
> the  dpi setting,  causing gtk  not to  interpret the  font settings
> correctly

Sounds plausible, so how do I fix the dpi settings?

Regards,

Jeremy Henty