Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4: font problems

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Sat Apr 18 17:01:38 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:31:02AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

> First, you don't tell us which windowmanager you are using.

Sorry.  I'm using icewm.

> Second, I understand  what menus are, but what  specifically is "and
> such like" - it clearly  isn't text _within_ applications, but is it
> text on the "panel", or in the window titles, or something else ?

Stuff that is affected:
  - Icewm right-button menu
  - Icewm dialogs
  - text on the buttons in the icewm taskbar
  - icewm window titles
  - GUI widget text in applications, *except* FLTK applications

Stuff that is not affected:
  - FLTK widgets
  - the main window of rxvt (terminal emulator)
  - web pages in Firefox

I have the DejaVu fonts installed.  They show up nicely in fc-list and
they are what Firefox uses for web page text.

> You  are upgrading  an old  system,  I think.   Have you  *upgraded*
> freetype, fontconfig, and cairo ?

I have kept everything  pretty up-to-date except Xorg itself.  Current
versions are:

   cairo-1.8.6
   pango-1.22.4
   fontconfig-2.6.0
   freetype-2.3.9

None of these had any problems  running against Xorg 7.2 (not even the
famously hairy freetype upgrade broke anything).

I tried switching  to Xorg 7.4 but linking the  font directory back to
the Xorg  7.2 fonts.  That didn't  fix anything, so it's  not that the
fonts themselves  are broken  (or at least  it's not just  that).  The
text looks as  though it's been rendered at  a ludicrously small size,
though I can't be sure that is actually what has gone wrong.

Re-running mkfontdir  and mkfontscale in  all the font  directories in
lib/X11/fonts hasn't helped either.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty