Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4: font problems

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 18 16:31:02 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:14:38AM +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:

> Replying to myself:
>
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:02:07AM +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:
>
> > OK, X.org 7.4  is finally running, thanks to  your help.  But, fonts
> > are messed up.   Menus and such like display  minute black scribbles
> > for text instead of lettering.  ...  Should I be rebuilding cairo or
> > pango?
>
> I rebuilt  both cairo  and pango: no  change.  Anything else  I should
> try?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty
Hi Jeremy,

 I'm having difficulty understanding where the problem might lie.
First, you don't tell us which windowmanager you are using.  I
happen to use icewm, so my menus don't use fancy-stuff.  If you are
using gnome, it's probably all done with xml plus smoke and mirrors.

 Second, I understand what menus are, but what specifically is "and
such like" - it clearly isn't text _within_ applications, but is it
text on the "panel", or in the window titles, or something else ?

 You are upgrading an old system, I think.  Have you *upgraded*
freetype, fontconfig, and cairo ?

 I can't offer solutions (the only thing that comes to mind for 7.4
is --enable-builtin-fonts : your symptoms don't seem appropriate to
offering that because it solves (a) application won't run - no font,
and (b) applications display boxes instead of letters, and (c) I
think you've got the old 'core' fonts anyway.

ĸen