Continued: Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Sat Apr 18 14:06:44 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 09:04:54PM +0100, Martin Ward wrote:

> this looks odd
>
> RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 54 x 3688

Doesn't  it just?   Xorg 7.2  does not  log any  such  "Setting screen
physical size" message.

> have  you tried  putting  a default  depth  and mode  lines in  your
> xorg.conf

RESULT!!!  I added  'DefaultDepth 8' to the Screen  section and 'Modes
"1280x1024"' to the  Display subsection for that depth  and it worked.
(Although  that weird "Setting  screen physical  size" you  spotted is
still  there.  I  have  no idea  if it  has  anything to  do with  the
problem.)  Thank you so much!

But, why the %^&* should this be necessary?  We hear so much about how
Xorg should autoconfigure itself these  days, yet this all Just Worked
in version  7.2, but is clearly broken  in 7.4.  Time to  hit the Xorg
list, I think.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty