Continued: Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 18 13:04:54 PDT 2009

Jeremy Henty wrote:
> I'm still trying to  get Xorg 7.4 to work with my  ATI Radeon 9250 PCI
> card.  Unfortunately I am getting nowhere.  I have tried every version
> of the xf86-ati video driver from the original 6.9.0 up to the current
> 6.12.2, and also tried setting AGPMode to  1, 2, 4 and 8 for each one.
> Still no change:  my card is not recognised and  the screen goes blank
> when I  start X and  I have to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.   Very frustrating,
> especially as Xorg 7.2 worked out of the box.
>
> I  appreciate all  your previous  help, but  I'm reduced  to  doing an
> Oliver Twist  and asking for more.   I'm attaching the  config and log
> from my last attempt.  Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty

this looks odd

RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 54 x 3688

have you tried putting a default depth and mode lines in your xorg.conf

are your library paths in /etc/ld.so.conf correct?, it looks ok to me

are your fonts in
//opt/Xorg/lib/X11/fonts
or /opt/Xorg/share/fonts as that would be where i would put them

/just some suggestions

Martin