Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 07:49:23 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:55 AM, David Jensen <djensenlin at windstream.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:05:57 +0100
> Jeremy Henty <onepoint at starurchin.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 09:07:12PM -0500, David Jensen wrote:
>>

>> > The blank screen may be agp mode mismatch.  7.4 tried to use 4x but
>> > my original R200 just does 2x.  I set it 2x in the bios and in
>> > xorg.conf (hey, doesn't hurt to be sure).
>>
>> Which option is that?  AGPMode?
>>

> in my case:
>  Option "AGPMode"       "2"

Yep. Newer radeon stopped trying to guess the AGP mode because it was
wrong too often. If you find out what the correct mode is, send a
message to xorg at lists.freedesktop.org with the settings you needed and
they'll add it to a quirks list in the driver. It might even be fixed
in newer versions of the ati driver. You can try out 6.12.1 and see if
that fixes your issues:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/xf86-video-ati-6.12.1.tar.gz

I believe it should build and run with 7.4, but the server might be too old.

--
Dan