Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 13 04:07:42 PDT 2009

Jeremy Henty wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 01:07:32AM +0100, Martin Ward wrote:
>

>> Around x.org server  1.4/1.5 ??, the pci detection  was removed from
>> the server itself and put into a separate library, libpciacess which
>> relies on pciutils i believe for pci ids.
>>

> I  installed libpciaccess  as part  of  the Xorg  build but  I had  no
> pciutils.  I've now installed pciutils-3.0.3 and run update-pciids but
> "X -configure"  still creates an  identical xorg.conf.new .   Should I
> rebuild libpciaccess?
>

>> 2. Nope you don't have to install xf86-input-evdev driver, you can still
>> use the old "legacy" keyboard and mouse driver but you need the
>> following in your xorg.conf
>>
>> Section "ServerFlags"
>> Option "DontZap"  "0"                           //allows you to kill the
>> server with ctrl-alt-bkspace
>> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "0"              // allows the legacy keyboard
>> and mouse drivers to be used
>> Option "AutoAddDevices" "0"             // stops devices being added
>> from hal events
>> Option "AutoEnableDevices" "0"        // allows policy setting for the
>> hal events
>> EndSection
>>

> I've added these but it still blackscreens.  At least ctrl-alt-bkspace
> works now!
>

>> 3 if you want to use evdev, yep you have to enable it in the kernel,
>> and then  set up  udev/dbus/hal and policykit/console  kit correctly
>> which is  another kettle of fish,  so that the x  server can respond
>> when you say plug in graphics tablet
>>

> Yuk!  I'll postpone doing this if at all possible.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty

Ignore the bit about pciaccess and stuff, that's only responsible for
selecting the correct driver at run time.

it's the actual driver that has a list of pci ids for the cards it supports

what driver are you using?, because i had similar problems like your
self a couple of months back
i have a radeon 2400XT which works fine with the radeon HD driver

if ctrl-alt-bkspace is working then something is processing the keystrokes

Martin