Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Mon Apr 13 00:47:34 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 01:07:32AM +0100, Martin Ward wrote:

> Around x.org server  1.4/1.5 ??, the pci detection  was removed from
> the server itself and put into a separate library, libpciacess which
> relies on pciutils i believe for pci ids.

I  installed libpciaccess  as part  of  the Xorg  build but  I had  no
pciutils.  I've now installed pciutils-3.0.3 and run update-pciids but
"X -configure"  still creates an  identical xorg.conf.new .   Should I
rebuild libpciaccess?

> 2. Nope you don't have to install xf86-input-evdev driver, you can still
> use the old "legacy" keyboard and mouse driver but you need the
> following in your xorg.conf
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "DontZap"  "0"                           //allows you to kill the
> server with ctrl-alt-bkspace
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "0"              // allows the legacy keyboard
> and mouse drivers to be used
> Option "AutoAddDevices" "0"             // stops devices being added
> from hal events
> Option "AutoEnableDevices" "0"        // allows policy setting for the
> hal events
> EndSection

I've added these but it still blackscreens.  At least ctrl-alt-bkspace
works now!

> 3 if you want to use evdev, yep you have to enable it in the kernel,
> and then  set up  udev/dbus/hal and policykit/console  kit correctly
> which is  another kettle of fish,  so that the x  server can respond
> when you say plug in graphics tablet

Yuk!  I'll postpone doing this if at all possible.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty