Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

Trent Shea trent.shea at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 19:40:42 PDT 2009

On Sunday 12 April 2009 16:30:16 Jeremy Henty wrote:
> I've been  using Xorg 7.2 on  my LFS 6.3 system  without problems, but
> when I upgrade  to Xorg 7.4 I get  a black screen and a  lockup when I
> start X

I'm not sure how you're starting X, but if it happens to be 'X' on the command
line try 'X -retro'. During my first attempt at 7.4 I thought I had a bad
build, but I was really just left with a black screen and no input drivers.

From Xserver manual page:
-retro  starts the stipple with the classic stipple and cursor visible.
               The default is to start with a black root window, and  to  sup-
               press display of the cursor until the first time an application
               calls XDefineCursor().  For the Xorg server, this also  changes
               the  default  for  the  DontZap  option  to  FALSE.  For kdrive
               servers, this implies -zap.

Good Luck,
Trent.