Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

michael lang kingoipo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 17:00:43 PDT 2009

2009/4/13 Jeremy Henty <onepoint at starurchin.org>

> I've been  using Xorg 7.2 on  my LFS 6.3 system  without problems, but
> when I upgrade  to Xorg 7.4 I get  a black screen and a  lockup when I
> start X.   My video card  is an ATI  Radeon 9250 PCI.  Looking  at the
> xorg.conf.new I  see that the server  has failed to  identify the card
> (yet Xorg 7.2 identifies it without any problems).
>
> Now I've noticed this paragraph from the manual:
>
>    Recent versions of xorg-server force the use of the evdev input
>    driver, and ignore legacy input devices definded in xorg.conf.
>    This will result in an X display that seems to lock up if you are
>    using legacy input devices and do not have the proper input
>    configuration files in place (added later).
>
> Does this mean  that I *must* install the  xf86-input-evdev driver for
> Xorg 7.4 to work?  If so,  must I also enable CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV in my
> kernel configuration?  How does all  this relate to using HAL and DBUS
> (I use neither)  and the --disable-config-hal and --enable-config-dbus
> options to the xserver configure  script (neither of which I currently
> specify)?  What  are the "proper  input configuration files"  that the
> manual refers to?  Are they HAL configuration files or something else?
>
> Sorry for the blitz of questions, but at the moment I can't see what I
> should be  doing to get  this working.  I've  used the LFS  search but
> haven't found anything to clear up my confusion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty
> --

I don't know about the video card issues, but I do know that you can force
Xorg to the old behaviour(Which means you don't *need* HAL/DBUS/evdev.
Although, I must say that it didn't really work all too well in that mode
for me. Anyways, look up "AllowEmptyInput", if you set it to false in your
ServerLayout, it reverts to the old behaviour. (Also, did you build a
relatively new xorg-video-ati driver? Like 6.12.2? If not, try that)

 Michael de Lang