Upgrading Xorg 7.2 -> 7.4, black screens, evdev and all that

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Sun Apr 12 15:30:16 PDT 2009

I've been  using Xorg 7.2 on  my LFS 6.3 system  without problems, but
when I upgrade  to Xorg 7.4 I get  a black screen and a  lockup when I
start X.   My video card  is an ATI  Radeon 9250 PCI.  Looking  at the
xorg.conf.new I  see that the server  has failed to  identify the card
(yet Xorg 7.2 identifies it without any problems).

Now I've noticed this paragraph from the manual:

    Recent versions of xorg-server force the use of the evdev input
    driver, and ignore legacy input devices definded in xorg.conf.
    This will result in an X display that seems to lock up if you are
    using legacy input devices and do not have the proper input
    configuration files in place (added later).

Does this mean  that I *must* install the  xf86-input-evdev driver for
Xorg 7.4 to work?  If so,  must I also enable CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV in my
kernel configuration?  How does all  this relate to using HAL and DBUS
(I use neither)  and the --disable-config-hal and --enable-config-dbus
options to the xserver configure  script (neither of which I currently
specify)?  What  are the "proper  input configuration files"  that the
manual refers to?  Are they HAL configuration files or something else?

Sorry for the blitz of questions, but at the moment I can't see what I
should be  doing to get  this working.  I've  used the LFS  search but
haven't found anything to clear up my confusion.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty