Restart option in KDE

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 8 05:58:50 PDT 2009

Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> Le Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:44:35 -0500 DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> a
> écrit :
>
>> Another answer from somebody who doesn't use KDE, but are you starting
>> KDE from runlevel 5 (kdm, xdm, gdm?) or using startx from another runlevel?
>
> Runlevel 3 :
>
> root [ ~ ]# runlevel
> N 3
>
> But running from kdm. Should this be runlevel 5 ? This is my inittab
> file :

Well, by popular design, yes.   The initdefault should be x:5:...  I
doubt that is the problem, however.  3 is for text login, 4 is for
testing, 5 is graphical login (and usually all 3 are identical).  That
said, it is your system, your rules, and you are free to choose any
runlevel layout that you prefer.

-- DJ Lucas