HAL <-> Xorg troubles

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 12:45:34 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM, michael lang <kingoipo at gmail.com> wrote:

> My apologies for double mailing, but I have to correct myself, I used the
> patch on http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-August/012179.html
> and got a whole lot more info, but the error in the end is still the same,
> hald cannot get dbus to convince that it is privileged to own the service
> org.freedesktop.Hal(even though haldaemon and root are allowed to own it
> according to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf) (note, the --retain-privileges
> option doesn't change this either)

Be careful using newer dbus releases. A security issue was found in
how dbus determines privileges. It's fixed in newer releases, but it
means that some configuration files (i.e.,
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf) that were working are now in error.

You may want to give one of the "permissive" releases a try to make
sure this is not your issue.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus#head-ed92e8f84ae0374ae3a2e3f714c2eb0037a84868

--
Dan